PVC or uPVC is a widely used plastic material with many features and high quality. It is used in doors, windows, pipes and floors. It is an easy material to form and install, and the most important thing that distinguishes this material is that it has a very high insulation.
In this article, we will talk about PVC, its uses, advantages and disadvantages, and we will discuss the uses of the material in the manufacture of doors and windows in particular.
PVC is a plastic chemical that is a polymer, and PVC is made of chlorine and ethylene.
PVC is one of the most widely used materials globally, and between 40 to 50 tons of this material is produced annually, and China leads the way in PVC production.
What is the difference between uPVC and PVC?
In the beginning, we should mention the difference between the two names. Basically, the difference is not very big between the two materials. It lies in the addition of bisphenol A in PVC, which is not present in uPVC. We find in the abbreviation of the word PVC (polyvinyl chloride) while uPVC (unplasticized polyvinyl chloride) is the word unplasticized. Unplasticized means the addition of materials that increase the elasticity or fluidity of plastics, cement or wood.
Usually, there is not much differentiation between them, so PVC is called the two types in some places, and in uses, the PVC type is used for pipes, electrical cable insulation, and in some other industries.
As for uPVC, which is used in doors and windows, it is stronger and safer than the first type, but it lacks flexibility, which makes it difficult to use it in pipes and wire insulators.
Advantages of PVC materials
The spread of PVC shows that this material has many advantages and is suitable for different conditions, and we will mention here some of its features:
- Strength and toughness: One of the most important characteristics of PVC is the strength and durability of this material, although it is a plastic material, its manufacture gives it strength that makes it one of the materials that can withstand difficult conditions and bruises.
- Density: PVC has a higher density compared to its plastic and polymer counterparts.
- Price: PVC is cheap, economical and always available.
- Light weight: With its high density, it has a light weight that facilitates transportation and installation.
- High resistance: This material has a high resistance to water, sunlight, fire and moisture.
- Insulation: One of the most important advantages of this material is the insulation, which made the material the first choice for doors and windows.
- Non-conductive: It is a material that does not conduct electricity and is used in cables and electrical installations.
Disadvantages of PVC
Like any material, PVC has some disadvantages, including:
- Thermal instability: PVC is not thermally stable, but at the same time it is resistant to high and low temperatures.
- Toxic fumes: When burning, this material emits toxic fumes that may harm human health and the environment, but as we mentioned, it is a combustion-resistant material that takes a long time to start burning.
As we mentioned that PVC is very widespread and almost everywhere, the many uses made it present in homes, factories and building foundations, its advantages cannot be combined with other materials.
One of the most important uses of PVC is doors, its strength, durability and insulation make it an ideal choice for doors, other than its resistance to fire and corrosion.
PVC doors have the advantage that they can be customized, and many different colors can be chosen, making them a suitable choice with different decors.
PVC doors can be made of PVC only, and also wooden doors can be made of MDF and covered with an outer layer of PVC.
PVC doors are one of the most common types in the market, and in Turkey it is very popular and competes with other types.
This type can be used in all places, but it is more widespread in bathrooms and home balconies because of its resistance to water, dust and sunlight.
This also allows it to be used in exterior doors, as it does not corrode over time under external conditions, and is characterized by durability and long life.
Like doors, the use of PVC in the manufacture of windows has become an ideal option, of course the first reason is the insulation that these doors enjoy in terms of thermal insulation and sound insulation.
But there are other reasons we mentioned, which are that they are safe for their high resistance to fire, moisture and the sun, as the windows are highly exposed to rays and dust. This type of window is easy to clean and does not require great care or maintenance as it is resistant to corrosion and strikes.
With experience and use in previous years, these windows have proven to be an ideal and suitable option due to its advantages, low price and high quality.
Also, the ease of installation makes the installation cost of UPVC windows and doors low. Light weight and ease of manufacturing are key factors in lowering the cost.
Aluminum windows are cheaper than UPVC, but this type has a better life cycle and longer life, as it is an economical option that outperforms aluminum even if its price is a little hig
The use of PVC is not only limited to doors and windows, but is also used in the manufacture of pipes for their resistance to water. It is also used in the manufacture of Rexin, which is used in the clothing industry. It is used in electrical cables because of its electrical insulation. It is used in construction and foundations, as well as in bags and pipes. In hospitals, it is a naturally non-toxic substance.
One of the advantages of this material is that it is easy to recycle and takes place in many different forms
In the end, PVC is a unique material and the demand for it is very high, and it is produced in many countries, and Turkey produces large quantities of it and is exported to many countries, and its use in Turkey, as we mentioned, is very widespread, especially in doors and windows with tight closures and thermal insulation.